Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How many wires under a Breaker?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member tsccgy19's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2005
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    A friend had a house built recently. We looked in the panel and the Contrator has doubled up wires on breakers in the panel. For instance, he has 2 nummber 14's under the screw of one breaker. I pointed this out to the Electrical Inspector, and he says there is nothing wrong with it as long as the total number of outlets from BOTH cables do not exceed 12.
    I have been in the business for 25 years and have never doubled up....Nonetheless, I can't challenge him on it because I see no violation in the codebook?
    This seems like a poor practice. Has anyone seen anything in the codebook that prevents this???
    Thanks,
    Steve

  2. #2
    Inactive Member electricguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 20th, 2003
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I Have not seen this done either. I am In BC. I understand SQ D Breakers are rated for 2 wires under the screw for #14 and #12.but having 24 outlets on a 15 amp circuit does not make sense to me.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bigrockk's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2002
    Posts
    146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have always thought of this as "against code" and a poor practice as well,but cannot find a specific code rule pertaining to terminations at circuit breakers.
    Anybody know of a rule other than 2-108 ?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Cosimo Diano's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 27th, 2004
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    2-034 Use of Approved Equipment
    No one shall use any electrical equipment other than approved electrical equipment of a kind or type and rating approved for the specific purpose for which it is to be employed.

    2-034 Appendix B Instructions pertaining to its installation. It is of the utmost importance that the installer closely follow installation instructions supplied by the manufacturer to fulfill the terms of the approval agreement.

    6-212(1) Enclosures for circuit breakers and externally operated switches shall not be used as junction boxes, troughs, or raceways for conductors feeding through or tapping off to other apparatus.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member CRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 29th, 2004
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Although it may not be a code violation, it's poor workmanship, especially if this is a new house. Generally you see two wires on one breaker on jobs where panels are full. I believe a tandem breaker would be a better option if the panel is full, or install a subpanel.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Cosimo Diano's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 27th, 2004
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If the breaker is approved for two wires the inspector should accept it.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 23, 2005 08:38 AM: Message edited by: Cosimo Diano ]</font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •